You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
W. Jean Dodds, DVM
Dr. Jean Dodds received the D.V.M. degree with honors in 1964 from the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Toronto. In 1965, she accepted a position as a Research Scientist with the New York State Health Department. She began comparative studies of animals with inherited and acquired bleeding diseases. Eventually, her position culminated as Chief, Laboratory of Hematology, Wadsworth Center. In 1980, she also became Executive Director, New York State Council on Human Blood and Transfusion Services.
This work continued full-time until 1986 when she moved to Southern California to establish Hemopet, the first nonprofit national blood bank program for animals.
The diagnostic division of Hemopet, Hemolife, provides the most advanced comprehensive diagnostic profiles for identifying canine thyroid disease, performs titer testing, as well as a wide range of other diagnostic services. Hypothyroidism is the most common endocrine disorder of dogs. More than 80% of cases result from autoimmune thyroiditis, the heritable autoimmune disease that progressively destroys the thyroid gland. Classical clinical signs of hypothyroidism only appear once more than 70% of the gland is destroyed. Accurate diagnosis may be difficult because thyroid dysfunction produces a wide range of clinical signs, many of which are subtle and mimic those of other causes.
Dr. Dodds also assisted Antech Diagnostics to establish its IFA testing method (published in JAVMA 2000) and with its thyroid testing antibody profiles.
Dr. Dodds is very well-known for her minimum vaccine protocols and as Co-Trustee of The Rabies Challenge Fund. She provides an FAQ on the subject and has authored several articles such as "Changing Vaccine Protocols".
Dr. Dodds co-authored The Canine Thyroid Epidemic: Answers You Need for Your Dog, which was rewarded the Dog Writers Association of America, Best Care and Health Book for 2011 and the Eukanuba Maxwell Canine Health Award. Her second book, Nutrigenomics: Foods that heal your dog, was published in January 2015.
In 2011, Dr. Dodds released NutriScan, a food sensitivity and intolerance diagnostic test for dogs. NutriScan tests for twenty of the most commonly ingested foods.
• Grantee of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NIH) and has over 150 research publications.
• Former President of the Scientist's Center for Animal Welfare
• Former Chairman of the Committee on Veterinary Medical Sciences, National Academy of Sciences
• Former Vice-Chairman of the Institute of Laboratory Animal Resources, National Academy of Sciences
• Former member of the National Research Council/BANR Committee on National Needs for Research in Veterinary Science, which released its report in July 2005
• Board of Directors of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association
• Board of Directors of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Foundation
• 1974: Outstanding Woman Veterinarian of the Year, AVMA Annual Meeting
• 1977: Region I Award for Outstanding Service to the Veterinary Profession from the American Animal Hospital Association
• 1978 and 1990: received the Gaines Fido Award as Dogdom's Woman of the Year
• 1978: Recognition of Special Contributions to the Veterinary Profession from the American Animal Hospital Association
• 1984: Centennial Medal from the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
• 1987: Distinguished Practitioner of the National Academy of Practice in Veterinary Medicine
• 1994: Holistic Veterinarian of the Year Award from the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association
U.S. Patent 5,196,311 ELISA Test for von Willebrand Factor
U.S. Patent 5,202,264 ELISA Using Multi-Species Antibodies for Detection of von Willebrand Factor in Multiple Species
U.S. Patent 5,486,685 Oven with Food Presence Indicator
U.S. Patent 5,830,709 Detection Method for Homologous Portions of a Class of Substances
U.S. Patent 6,287,254 Animal Health Diagnostics
U.S. Patent 6,537,213 Animal Health Care, Well-Being and Nutrition
U.S. Patent 6,730,023 Animal Genetic and Health Profile Database Management
U.S. Patent 7,029,441 Animal Health Care, Well-Being and Nutrition
U.S. Patent 7,134,995 Animal Genetic and Health Profile Database Management
U.S. Patent 7,548,839 System for Animal Health Diagnostics
U.S. Patent 7,552,039 Method for Sample Processing and Integrated Reporting of Dog Health Diagnosis
U.S. Patent 7,794,954 Detection and Measurement of Thyroid Analyte Profile
U.S. Patent 7,797,145 Animal Health Diagnostics
U.S. Patent 7,799,532 Detection and Measurement of Thyroid Hormone Autoantibodies
U.S. Patent 7,865,343 A Method of Analyzing Nutrition for a Canine or Feline Animal
U.S. Patent 7,867,720 Food Sensitivity Testing in Animals
U.S. Patent 7,873,482 Diagnostic System for Selecting Nutrition and Pharmacological Products for Animals
U.S. Patent 8,060, 354 System and Method for Determining a Nutritional Diet for a Canine or Feline Animal